Guest Lecture: Systemic Fear, Modern Finance and the Future of Capitalism
Nitzan, Jonathan and Bichler, Shimshon. (2010). October 2010. (Lecture / Presentation).
Download (30kB) | Preview
Download (89kB) | Preview
Download (480kB) | Preview
Abstract or Brief Description
Is capitalism about to collapse? Like every other mode of power, capitalism rests on confidence in obedience: the confidence of the rulers in the obedience of the ruled. Emperors are sure of their rule over obedient subjects and slaves; lords are certain they can rule their obedient vassals and serfs; and capitalists trust the obedience of their underlying masses. The confidence of rulers is mediated through their dominant dogma: when the dogma holds, the rulers are hubristic, steadfast and ruthless; when the dogma disintegrates, the rulers, gripped by systemic fear, become hesitant and lose their ability to rule.
Systemic fear often culminates in systemic collapse. The downfall of the last Babylonian emperor, Belshazzar, the collapse of Easter Island, the French Revolution against the ancien régime, the fall of Soviet Union and many more such episodes were all preceded by systemic fear: for whatever reason, the rulers lost faith in their dogma and confidence in their subjects’ obedience. But their systemic fear remained elusive: we know of it only anecdotally, subjectively, and always retrospectively – after their mode of power lies in ruins.
Modern finance has made systemic fear transparent. For the first time in history, we have an objective, numerical measure of the rulers’ confidence in obedience – and this measure is available not in retrospect, but here and now. The indicator in question is forward-looking capitalization: the financial ritual with which capitalists discount to present value their expected future profit. This ritual stands at the heart of the modern capitalist dogma, and it is currently broken: for the past decade, capitalists have been looking not forward to the future, but backward to the past. In other words, capitalists no longer trust their own dogma: they are no longer confident in the obedience of the ruled or in their own ability to rule.
DATE/TIME/PLACE: Friday, October 29, 2010, 3:00–5:00 pm || York Lanes, Room 280N || Keele Campus of York University
VIDEO DURATION (Presentation and Q&A): 2:04 hours
|Publication Type:||Lecture / Presentation|
Systemic Fear, Modern Finance and the Future of Capitalism
Bichler, Shimshon and Nitzan, Jonathan. (2010). July 2010. (Article - Mimeograph; English).
|Keywords:||asset pricing capitalization capitalism collapse complex systems confidence in obedience discounting dominant ideology fear of death financial markets forward-looking modes of power peak oil systemic crisis|
|Subject:||BN Civilization & Social Systems
BN Money & Finance
BN Conflict & Violence
BN Ecology & Environment
BN International & Global
BN Region - North America
BN Business Enterprise
BN Capital & Accumulation
BN Value & Price
|Depositing User:||Jonathan Nitzan|
|Date Deposited:||17 Nov 2010|
|Last Modified:||07 Jan 2015 19:56|
Bichler, Shimshon and Nitzan, Jonathan
Systemic Fear, Modern Finance and the Future of Capitalism. (deposited 25 Jul 2010)
- Kliman, Andrew and Bichler, Shimshon and Nitzan, Jonathan Systemic Crisis, Systemic Fear: An Exchange. (deposited 15 May 2011)
- Kliman, Andrew and Bichler, Shimshon and Nitzan, Jonathan Systemic Crisis, Systemic Fear: An Exchange. (deposited 01 Apr 2011)
- Nitzan, Jonathan and Bichler, Shimshon Guest Lecture: Systemic Fear, Modern Finance and the Future of Capitalism. (deposited 17 Nov 2010) [Currently Displayed]
- Nitzan, Jonathan Eyes Wide Shut: The Ruling Class and the Future of Capitalism. (deposited 16 Nov 2010)
- Hong, Gibin Is Global Financial Capitalism Following the Path of Communism? (금융 자본주의는 소련 공산주의의 뒤를 밟을 것인가?: 자본 시장의 심장 박동이 멈추었다). (deposited 09 Nov 2010)
Bichler, Shimshon and Nitzan, Jonathan
Systemic Fear, Modern Finance and the Future of Capitalism (체제적 공포, 현대 금융과 자본주의의 미래). (deposited 09 Nov 2010)
- Nitzan, Jonathan and Hong, Gibin Systemic Fear, Modern Finance and the Future of Capitalism (체제적 공포, 현대 금융과 자본주의의 미래). (deposited 19 Nov 2010)
- Lee, Jong-Tae Left Unattended, the Capitalist Crisis Could Culminate in the Collapse of Global Civilization (자본주의 위기 방치하면 세계대전 일어난다). (deposited 13 Nov 2010)
- Hong, Gibin The Global Capital Market Under “Systemic Fear” ('체제적 공포' 엄습한 자본시장). (deposited 10 Nov 2010)
Actions (login required)